Self Love & Christianity

Friday, November 16, 2018

  


   What is Christianity about? There are so many answers out there, especially about what it is isn't. Here are some of the most popular ideas.

    It's not about rules.
    It's not about religion.
    It's about a relationship.
 
   That all sounds good. But, then it ends up not really being about a relationship... We are so focused on us, and how God feels about us. If we talked to our friends, or about them how we do about God, it would seem just a little strange.
   
    "This is my friend Alice, I love that she tells me that I'm great, and strong, and good."
    
    "Hey, Joey, remind me about how much you love me, and how strong I am."

    "I could listen to you telling me why you like me so much all day."

   We'd probably either have incredibly low self-esteem issues, or big ego issues if we constantly needed our relationship to be about us.
 
   When Jesus was on earth, He didn't go around, constantly telling people how they were good,  strong, and worthy. Instead he gave people hope, and something so much bigger than themselves to live for. Why do we now constantly focus on ourselves?
   Truth is, we're not strong, good or worthy. If we look at ourselves to fight depression, or low self esteem, or to find what's missing in our life - whatever we are fighting, it's never going to work.
   It might make us feel good for a while to hear flattery & good things about us, but at the end of the day we're still going to know a truth about us. We have sinful natures, we've all fallen and sinned, and we all deserve death. Hearing that we're good isn't going to change, only God can!

   Being a Christian doesn't mean finding out who we are. It means finding out who God is, and dying to self. 
   Paul says in Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me. 
  Our lives aren't ours. It doesn't matter who we are, whether we're strong or weak. It doesn't matter what other people think about us. It matters who Christ is.
   It definitely can be hard to remember that in this world, where everything is about self-love, exalting self, and the power within ourselves. But the message of the Bible is so radically different than that. We have no special power within ourselves.
 For ye are dead, and you life is hid with Christ in God. Colossians 3:3
  When Christ dwells in our hearts, we realize that everything we do, everything we are is because of Him. It isn't about us. The whole point of Christianity isn't that we are good, or the fact that we aren't good enough and we can't save ourselves. It isn't about pride, or false humility, loving ourselves, or hating ourselves. The point is that Jesus is good, and that's good news! He can give us His goodness, and make us like Him!
        But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. Galatians 6:14 
  Worship isn't about us. Who are we worshipping? God! What should we be seeking to glorify and show others with our lives? God!
 
  We have this amazing God, who created the entire universe, who is so loving, and powerful, and all knowing, and kind. Let's look above ourselves, and this dark world, to Him. By beholding, we become changed, and reflect His image.

  There's a beautiful hymn that sums it up perfectly. Here are just a few verses of the song - if you want to read the rest click here.

Not I, but Christ be honoured, loved, exalted.
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action.
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord
Oh, to be lost in Thee.
Oh, that it may be no more I,
but Christ that lives in me.

Christ, only Christ, no idle word e'er falling.
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing.
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying.
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body.
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
 Ada B. Whiddington 
 
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments