The Lovely Words Tag

Monday, August 19, 2019




I was tagged by Nicole from Thoughtful Inklings to do 'The Lovely Words Tag'. You can read her post here.
 
  She created this tag, which goes like this - pick three books with prose that stands out in vivacity and beauty. Books that could stand on imagery alone without characters or plot.

   Here are my three books!

  1. The Pilgrim's Progress | Christiana's Journey

Most people have heard of John Bunyan's famous allegory, which has influenced countless people and been referenced to in many other works - including 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott.

  This book follows the journey of Christian, as he makes his journey to the Celestial City. Along the way, he meets many colourful characters - Worldly Wiseman, Faithful, the Interpreter - and passes through many dangers.

    However, 'Christiana's Journey' is spoken about less, even though it is equally as wonderful a story! I've enjoyed both these books since I was young, listening to the dramatized audiobook tapes over and over again, and then reading the books several times too. The story of Christiana following in her husband's steps, with her children, and Mercy joining her has always been a favourite. The part where Great-Heart joins them, and together with her sons goes down to destroy doubting castle was one of my favourites.

    But as I've gotten older, each time I read the book I find more interesting metaphors, and appreciate the writing more. Here are some of my favourite quotes from 'Christiana's Journey'.
  •  When he heard your lumbering noises, he gave a wonderful innocent smile...

  •   It is my duty, said he, to distrust mine own ability, that I may have reliance on Him that is stronger than all. 

  •  This day I see that Grace doth shine in your faces, and that you are my Lord's Shepherds indeed; for that you have not pushed these diseased neither with side nor shoulder, but have rather strewed their way into the Palace with flowers, as you should. 

  • I have loved to hear my Lord spoked of; and where-ever I have seen the print of His shoe in the earth, there I have coveted to set my foot too.

  2. Words Unspoken

   This is a modern book, unlike the other two books I've included in this post. However, it's really beautiful and well written. This book by Elizabeth Musser is about a teenager who lost her mother to an accident and now can't drive without having a panic attack. She begins to take driving lessons and soon becomes fast friends with her elderly teacher and his wife. The book also follows his life, as well as his middle-aged daughter's life.  

     I really enjoyed this book, it does have a great plot, but although it's not super dramatic, and begins rather slowly, the writing style pulls the whole thing together. Here are some of my favourite quotes from 'Words Unspoken'.
  •  She had a smile on her face that to Ev looked like the sun's rays spilling through an opening in the clouds

  •   Thinking too much just brings it back to me, me, me-- but thanking takes my eyes off myself and my mistakes and puts them on others, on things bigger than myself. I can't stand here very long without being humbled at how small I am and amazed at how big and beautiful our world is. 

  • I believe in a creator God, a God of design and power. An omniscient and omnipotent God who loves humanity and loves the individual. A God who's in the business of redeeming. 

 3. Little Women & Good Wives

  It's probably not surprising that I've included 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott, I love this book so much. This book follows the lives of four sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, as they grow up and learn life lessons. My favourite parts of this book are the everyday scenes, where sisters are at home, acting out scenes, or making a disaster in the kitchen, or just sitting around talking. Some people might find those parts boring, but there are so many wise quotes hidden in those scenes.

    I think that the writing style of Louisa was ahead of her time, I've read several other classics from her era which take forever to read, and are bogged down by so many words that it's really hard to get through them. But her writing is simple and easy to understand, with the occasional flowery description that is well placed so as not to bog down the story.

    Here are some of my favourite quotes from the book.
  • After that, the little brown hood slipped through the hedge nearly every day, and the great drawing room was haunted by a tuneful spirit that came and went unseen. 

  •  Conceit spoils the finest genius. There is not much danger that real talent or goodness will be overlooked long; even if it is, the consciousness of possessing and using it well should satisfy one, and the great charm of all power is modesty.

  •   I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace.

  •    As she lifted the curtain to look out into the dreary night, the moon broke suddenly from  behind the clouds, and shone upon her like a bright, benignant face, which seemed to whisper in the silence, ' Be comforted, dear soul! There is always light behind the clouds.'

  •  Oh when these hidden stores of ours, lie open to the Father's sight, may they be rich in golden hours, deeds that show fairer for the light, lives whose brave music long shall ring, like a spirit-stirring strain, souls that shall gladly soar and sing, in the long sunshine after rain. 
  
    Thank you Nichole, for tagging me to do this challenge, it was really fun. If you're reading this and would like to participate, I tag you!

You Might Also Like

0 comments