Book Review of the Week

Friday, March 27, 2015


Time for another book suggestion! This week's book is.... *drumroll* 
Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith! 

I just finished this book last week, it took me a day. Well around three hours. I really enjoyed it and not knowing which book to choose for this week I decided to use it!
  FLYGIRL by Sherri L. Smith. 
   This book is about Ida Mae, a young African American girl. her daddy was a pilot and taught her to fly, but after he died she had no options to fly. America enters WWII and her brother enters the army. She can't stand staying at home, feeling like she's not helping. So she enters the Women's Airforce Service Pilots. Will she be able to join passing as a white girl? And if she does, will she be able to stay there without failing the training?
   
  I actually have two favorite characters in the book. Pasty & Ida Mae. Pasty was so stubborn, and funny too! I actually pictured her as Lindsey Stirling, I have no idea why! I loved that she stuck up for Ida and the other girls. She had a soft side even though she was so brave.
     Ida Mae had a lot of courage, and she seemed like a really real character. Even though she was good at so many things, I loved the fact that also had things she couldn't do, so she didn't seem like a perfect girl.
        My favorite part of the book is when she first arrives at the WASP base. My favorite scene is when Pasty pulls the prank on the mean instructor. It was so funny, it made me laugh, and cheer her on.
    The story really did grip me, making me wonder what was going to happen next. It was very good at keeping me guessing, I did guess what was going to happen to her brother. I really felt for her family too, and all along they made me hope that they would make up with her. 
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, it really left me wanting to know what happened next. (hint, I want a sequel) I suppose though, if she had made it keep going, it would've gotten too long. 
   Also the romance it wasn't too major, I was glad about that. Towards the end it became more major, but still it wasn't like some other books that I've read.
      I think this book is good for girl 13+ or 14+. 
      Happy Reading!
     Sincerely, Rachel

You Might Also Like

0 comments