Book Review - The Pattern Artist

Saturday, January 21, 2017


   A book review - I haven't posted one of these in a while! Well, I'm going to start off the year with a really good book.



    The Pattern Artist by Nancy Moser, is a story about a housemaid, who isn't afraid to dream big. Annie Woods decides to take things into her own hands, and make a life for herself in America.
      I found this book a delightful read! The characters were interesting and loveable. Annie was relatable, and realistic, which made her a good heroine. She worked hard to get what she could, but struggled with doubts and worries. Along her journey, she learned to trust God, and let herself begin to enjoy the moment. One of my favourite characters was Danny, who was brave, optimistic, and kind. He added lightness to the story, when things were looking down.
      The villain was also well-written. He was revengeful and mean, but didn't seem too unrealistic. He wasn't the completely crazy-looking, suspicious man that everyone would look at and shudder, a common cliche.
      The plot was adventurous, and kept me on the edge of my seat. It wasn't exactly a mystery, but it definitely had some suspenseful moments.
       I really liked the setting. From America - to Paris, it was all nicely detailed. The historical aspects were pretty accurate, so was the sewing details. I definitely do not know as much about sewing as the author, but I learned a lot from reading. I also liked how the author could write about sewing, without making everything seem to heavy and fact-loaded.
     One of my favourite historic aspect of the story, was about the Reform Dress Movement. I've always been an interested in that movement. In the book it addressed corsets, and I believe that corsets are not good for your health, so it was nice to read about how the movement started.
      Overall I would rate this book 5/5 - ages 12+. I really enjoyed it, and would read it again!

Be sure to check it out! Happy reading.
   Sincerely,
   Rachel R

You Might Also Like

0 comments