Book Review | Wings Of The Wind

Monday, July 03, 2017

   I am back with another book review! This week I am reviewing 'Wings of the Wind' by Connilyn Cossette - one of my favourite authors.



 'Wings of the Wind' is the third book in the 'Out Of Egypt' series, by Connilyn Cossette. The series follows the Israelites journey in the wilderness, through the eyes of different people. Kaya - from the first book 'Counted With the Stars' - was an Egyptian slave girl, Shira - from the second book 'Shadow of the Storm' - was her best friend. 'Wings of the Wind' tells the story of Alanah, a Canaanite who is captured in battle.

       Alanah was a really strong character, and I found her to be very well rounded. The characters from heathen countries in Bible times aren't often used in Christian fiction, and I really respected the delicate but honest way that Connilyn used this perspective. Alanah was so real - she felt hurt, and guilt, and regret. She jumped out of the pages, and was relatable even though she lived centuries ago. I enjoyed watching her character growth, and how she began to care about others, and learned to love God.

     I loved that Connilyn weaved Rahab into this story. Usually I am not a big fan of Biblical fiction, just because I think that they are often over romantized (think any Esther movie), or seem inaccurate. But it was very intriguing and interesting how the story of Rahab was told.

    Tobiah was also a very interesting character. I really liked his loyalty, and strong sense of morals and protectiveness. He was forgiving, and gave Alanah second chances. Of course, he had his faults, which was good, and made him more realistic!

      The plot of 'Wings of the Wind' was very well written. It was interesting and exciting, and didn't lag. There were a lot of interesting themes to the story. I liked the story addressed the impatience and mistakes of the Israelites - and the consequences that came from it. She also showed the sex trade of that time, how evil it was, and the strong hold it had on the victims.

       Overall I would rate this book 5/5. There wasn't anything I really disliked about it. It is suitable for ages 15+ due to the sex trade being a part of the plot. After reading this book, I'm not sure whether 'Counted With the Stars' or this one is my favourite of the series. They are definitely on my top 20 book list!

    On a side note - I really respect and appreciate that Connilyn Cossette is raising awareness for modern day human trafficking on her website.

   This book is definitely worth reading!

   Sincerely,
     Rachel
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments