Never judge a book by its cover.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Never judge a book by its cover is a saying we often hear. It applies to people, and of course to books. Today I learned a very good lesson about this.
     I order a lot of books from the library and today I went to pick up a bunch, so happy to get some books again. One I'd been waiting a very long time for was 'Sinners & the Sea'. It's a book about Noah's wife. I was so excited to read it, and the cover was so beautiful. Another book among the pile was, 'Phoebe: A Novella.' by Diane Noble. It was smaller than I had expected, and the cover wasn't quite as nice as the other; 'Sinner's & the Sea'.
       I began the Phoebe one first, and fell in love with it, after only a few chapters. It was a beautiful book, about a doll made by a father for his daughter and it's journey through the hands of many people. It was such a well written story, and it seemed way longer than the book looked. The perfect length. I definitely recommend for you to go check it out. I love the cover now, after reading it and seeing how it was such a good book. Haha, and I also learned 'never judge a book by its size'.
    Then I picked up 'Sinners & and the Sea', and after admiring the cover for a few moments dove in. It was the perfect sized book, and I was so excited! I found the beginning a little weird, how Noah's wife had a large birth mark on her forehead causing everyone except her father to believe she was a demon. Not exactly how I envisioned this book but, I figure it would change after a while.
    Now a little farther in this book was getting me riled up a little. I was getting a little angry, at how it portrayed Noah, and I was only reading it now to see what it would say next. I only read to almost the middle of the book before I had to put it down. I found it so inaccurate, and it was really showing Noah as a crazy fanatic man. You can read my whole review here if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1248972057  
   I could go on forever about how much I disliked this book, but I don't want to bore you.
  So lesson learned, NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. I don't care if it the ugliest cover you've ever seen, the words are the things that matter. And even though it might be the prettiest cover you've ever seen, it may be the worst book you've ever read.
   And here's something I read a while ago that I found interesting. All books are made up of 26 letters. I cool way to look at it eh? Well, I hope we all use those letters in a way pleasing to God!
   Also I'm working on the second draft of one of my books, who'd like a sneak peak? Comment and let me know if you would.
    Sincerely, Rachel

You Might Also Like

0 comments