Book Review of the Week: The Silver Suitcase

Monday, January 18, 2016


  I'm getting closer to my book review a week goal! My book review of this week is "The Silver Suitcase" by Terrie Tod.

I'm reviewing this book for Netgalley, but the review is completely my opinion, and completely honest.

      The cover of this books is so pretty! I was drawn to it immediately, and I the description made me even more curious and excited to read it. I was certainly not disappointed.
     My favourite character was probably Corrie, aka Cornelia. I loved her stubbornness at the beginning, and her spunk. It really added a humorous tone to the story. Even though she was sometimes stubborn about the wrong things, it made her more realistic and I could sympathize with her.  She of course made mistakes so she wasn't that perfect and angelic character that always seems one dimensional. Seeing her struggle and learn through her problems, and find forgiveness and hope was really encouraging.

   I loved Henry. He was funny, kind, and had a charm to him, even though he could be shy and awkward. The author did a great job of portraying him, and making you really love him.

   Bonita was also a great character, I loved the Grandmother / Granddaughter relationship at the beginning of the book, it was so sweet. The legacy of the ice-cream maker was also a sweet touch to the story. When she grew up, Bonita was exactly what many people are like today. She had marriage problems, wasn't spending time with God, was worried all the time and stressed about work, and missing out on time with her children. But I don't think it was stereotypical, and thought it was a good thing this character was in that position, because this book can really reach a lot of people!

    The plot was great. It really had me guessing, and wanting to read more of the diary. Some of the plot twists really surprised me even though they're foreshadowed in the description on the back of the book.

    The ending was amazing, I really enjoyed it! Even though we never get to see the entire diary, I thought it was very well thought out, and satisfying.

     This book taught some hard lessons. Relationship pain, the danger of bitterness, and that we are never alone. It taught that we have to fight for our relationships, and try hard to make them work and understand other people's perspectives. There are so many more, but one that really hit me was that little things we do that seem so small and insignificant can change others lives.

   I would 100% recommend this book, for girls ages 14+. 'The Silver Suitcase' deserves five out of five stars.

You Might Also Like

0 comments